Three Lefts Make a Right

An ongoing conversation between a conservative, right-wing, Christian woman and her liberal, turned-Jew, democrat cousin... who happens to be her best friend in the world.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Explain this one Christian Cuz...

So I have a confession to make. I've never understood prayer. Following are some questions to help shed light on why I have never felt comfortable asking God for a favor:

  • Would God really let someone die because they weren't prayed over?
  • Would God really let one team win over another because one of them prayed?
  • If two teams prayed to God to help them win, would God then choose a favorite?
  • Isn't God omniscient? Doesn't he know the outcome already? What's the point, then, asking him to do something about an ordeal he has already weighed in on?
  • Aren't we being rather presumptive asking God for something when he knows what's best for us?
  • Aren't we kind of being dicks asking God to fix things that were our own stupid faults in the first place, i.e. "Please God, help me find my keys (I pray this one every morning, by the way)" "Please God, don't let that thing I just ran over be a person"?
  • Aren't we being rather presumptive asking God for something that may mean a bad outcome for someone else, i.e. "Please help us win the war" "Please help me get this job" "Please don't let Albert break up with me"?
  • Is God so shallow that he needs us to praise him? After all, he asks us to expect no praise for our deeds.

In closing, the only way I've found around this dilemma (because when I really am feeling helpless, I still must have that line to my creator) is to pray, "Thy will be done." I think that is enough of a prayer for me, but those above questions still nag at me. Please offer you opinions...I really want to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home